YouTube Ads: How to Set Up, Run, and Monitor Campaigns
By Adam Enfroy
YouTube is the second-most-visited site in the world. And YouTube mobile ads are 84% more likely to hold attention than TV ads. If you’re not running YouTube Ads campaigns, you’re missing out on key advertising opportunities.
Although YouTube Ads campaigns run via Google Ads, YouTube advertising is different from other online ad options. The platform relies solely on video (of course), but it also includes unique ad options and specifications.
This post shows you:
- How to set up your YouTube account and Ads campaign;
- How to identify your target audience for YouTube Ads;
- Keys to successful YouTube Ads campaigns;
- Measurement and attribution for YouTube Ads.
How to set up YouTube Ads
The first step to set up YouTube Ads is to create a YouTube channel. From there, you’ll be able to publish your video ads. Sign in to YouTube with your Google Account, then click on “My channel.”
If you don’t already have a channel, you’ll be prompted to create one.
You can either use your Google account name or, if you have a brand account, choose another name, such as that of your business.
Once you click “Create Channel,” you can start uploading your video ads. YouTube videos can be published as any of four different types:
- Public videos can be viewed by anyone.
- Unlisted videos don’t show up on your channel or in search results but can be viewed by someone with the direct link.
- Private videos can be viewed only by people who were invited to see it.
- Scheduled videos allow you to select the date and time they become public.
Upload it as “Public” or “Unlisted” for use in YouTube Ads campaigns.
You should also customize your channel to showcase your brand to visitors and subscribers. The simplest way to add quick branding is to upload a profile picture and create a YouTube banner.
If you don’t have an in-house graphic designer, there are plenty of free, easy-to-use templates:
Now that your channel is set up and your videos are uploaded, it’s time to create a campaign.
Creating a YouTube Ads campaign
YouTube Ads campaigns are set up through your Google Ads account. Once you log in, select the “Video” campaign type.
Then, select your marketing objective, or opt for a campaign without a goal. By choosing no goal, you have more flexibility to craft the campaign the way you want it.
However, if you don’t have a lot of experience with Google Ads, a guided approach can simplify the process. There are four objectives to choose from:
- Brand awareness and reach;
- Product and brand consideration;
- Website traffic;
You can also select from six campaign subtypes: